Granton Medical Centre and BG Health (Griffins Brook Medical Centre and Bunbury Road Surgery) want to move from three sites to a single purpose-built medical centre on the Bournville Village Trust estate by end of 2020. Please see the engagement report on the proposed relocation in 2020.
- Our patients are our priority: We are committed to ensuring patients have access to high-quality, local, primary care services.
- Patients’ views are important to us: We want patients to tell us what they think about the plans to move to a new purpose-build medical centre.
- We want to be open and transparent: We know some patients may feel anxious about any changes happening at their GP practice, which is why we are talking to you now.
- We will keep you informed: We are still in the early stages and will be communicating with patients as more details become available.
Why do you want a new building?
We want to be able to offer our patients the best possible healthcare, with additional space available for our current and future services.
The sites Granton and BG Health currently operate from are leased and are either not fit for purpose or do not generally meet the current standards we would expect for a GP surgery.
By moving to a single site, we can offer patients a purpose-built, modern health and wellbeing centre.
Why move to the Bournville Village Trust estate?
The move will make life better for patients by offering the best possible healthcare in a “neighbourhood hub”, allowing the practices to integrate with other local primary care services such as mental health counsellors, district nurses, physiotherapists, health trainers and Back to Work support workers.
It will also have the additional space needed, modern facilities for patients and additional car parking.
Who is paying to build the new health centre?
The practices, through Birmingham and Solihull CCG, have bid for £2m of funding from NHS England’s Estates and Technology Fund.
When will a final decision be made?
The CCG is currently waiting for NHS England’s approval on the Outline Business Case. The views of patients and stakeholders as part of our engagement work, together with an Equality Impact Assessment, will be used in the Full Business Case.
When could the practices move?
It is anticipated that the move to the new Bournville Health & Wellbeing Centre could happen by late 2020. Patients will be kept up-to-date as more information becomes available.
How far away is the new health centre?
The approximate walking distances from the existing surgeries to the new site are:
- Granton Medical Centre – 1.4 miles
- Griffins Brook Medical Centre – 0.3 miles
- Bunbury Road Surgery – 0.9 miles.
Are the practices going to merge?
Granton Medical Centre and BG Health (Griffins Brook Medical Centre and Bunbury Road Surgery) have been given permission by NHS Birmingham and Solihull CCG’s Primary Care Commissioning Committee to become one practice from May 2019 should they wish. Patients will be kept informed of any merger, although they should not notice any changes to the way they access services at their GP practice.